Caol Ila Distillery was founded in 1846 by Hector Henderson. Bulloch Lade & Co., the blending company from Glasgow, took over operations in 1863 and remained the distillery owner until 1920.
That year after declaring bankruptcy Bulloch Lade & Co. was purchased by a consortium of whisky producers led by DCL, which divided its assets between themselves. By 1927 DCL had taken full control of the former Bulloch Lade & Co. assets and reestablished the company as its subsidiary. Bulloch Lade & Co. was finally dissolved in 2007. Here we have a rare Caol Ila bottling from the late 1970s/early 1980s when the distillery operated under stewartship of Bulloch Lade & Co.
Nose: sweet and salty, sea breeze, iodine, vanilla, marzipan, ripe apples, Mirabelle plums, lemons, limes, touch of hay and distant whiff of smoke.
Palate: follows the nose, apples, peaches, pears, candied lemon peel, lemon grass, pepper, seaweed salad, green olives, sea salt and peat smoke.
Finish: pretty long, with notes of sea salt, peat smoke, vanilla, honey, dried herbs and roasted nuts.